Express yourself, don't repress yourself.

This is just my journal. Sometimes it's a place to rant, sometimes it's a place to just talk about how things are going for me.

Friday, July 10, 2009

Anyone want to go for a ride??

So on Sunday, I went to Bike N' Hike in Hillsboro. My family has been going there for many years, but my bike that I have had for 13 years, just doesn't cut it anymore. It's too small and too un-athletic. Don't get me wrong, I love that bike. I mean, hell, I've had it for 13 years, and in the past couple years, I've ridden it a couple miles almost every week day.

But moving to California, I won't be bringing the car I've been borrowing from my parents. One, because it's not my car, and two, I don't really want to bring a nice car down to cali and have it get broken. Plus, I want to keep up the habit of riding to campus and getting at least that little bit of exercise even when everything is getting crazy.

So I decided it was time for a new bike, a real bike. I wanted a road bike.

Having made that decision, I went to bike n' hike and tried out my first road bike. I knew it would be a little wobbly compared to my old steel-framed hybrid bike, and I knew that it would be faster and 'more horse to handle', so to speak. But as soon as I rolled into the parking lot, I was crushed.

I couldn't quite reach the brake with my right hand, because of the shape of my hand and the bars. The shifter requires you to push one button with your thumb, and make a lateral move on the brake handle for the opposite direction shift. As I wobbled around the parking lot, I just couldn't seem to reach it correctly.

So I came in, dejected, and explained what was going on to the sales-guy. He brought me out some "fitness" bikes, which are similar to my old bike and have a straight handlebar, and I was even more disappointed. I had felt great in the road-bike riding position, and I didn't want to go back to the upright design that casual bikers and commuters insist on. I wanted a real bike that I could get obsessed with, race around on, and enjoy.

We talked about all the possibilities for shifters, and talked over ideas about moving the shifters or getting different ones, but for a road bike, there were basically only two options.

Still, I was determined there was a solution. I'm used to making adaptations with my hand so that I can do things as well as anyone else. I decided to take the first road bike around the block for another try, and after some fiddling, I discovered that I could reach one part of the shifter easily, and it only took a small adaptation to get around to the other side of the shifter!

I took the bike around, a Giant Avail 3, and tried another road bike as well, the next model up an Avail 1. The Avail 1 has nicer components, and things like a carbon-fiber seat-post... but the cool part was that the frame, the biggest investment, was the same between the two. The less-expensive bike had the more-expensive frame! So now, years down the road, I could just upgrade the components as they wear out, but know that my frame would be tip top shape!

After a few more laps, I came back in and was grinning from ear to ear. I was so excited, because it was so fast and powerful and gave me the chance to feel athletic and have fun. I could hardly contain myself, and it was in my budget range at $800...


So I bought it!

This is what she looks like! Although, the grip-wrap and saddle are black, not white. But anyway, once I get a few more pictures taken, I'll get those up. I am so excited to become a real cyclist!
So far I've logged almost 20 miles, with a top speed of 28.59 MPH!
Anyone want to go for a ride???

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home